Summer 2012

Summer 2012
Sisters!!

Search This Blog

Monday, June 28, 2010

Clean-Eating Update

Making Progress (the good news)-
*Tried blue agave sweetener in my tea this morning...can't really notice the difference, that was an easy one!
*Bought ground flax seed at Joe's..sprinkled on my yogurt/berries/honey/granola this morning..noticed the taste a tiny bit but not a big deal.
*Kids and I made wraps for lunch today (with "mountain bread"). I put out lt. mayo, mustard, hummus, low sodium turkey, sharp cheddar, grated carrots, lettuce, cucumbers and avocados. They only rule was at least one veggie. It was great to see my ten year old daughter put ALL the veggies on hers and after tasting it, come back in to say "this needs some hummus!".
*Packed hubby a mini-cooler (Tosca recommends packing a cooler everyday for work). Jason got breakfast (same as me)plus some sliced bell pepper, an apple and a Laughing Cow light.
I am drinking about 2L of H2O a day...trying to slowly up that amount.
*Put ground flax seed on kids' oatmeal and in my eat clean banana-applesauce muffins (egg whites only). No one said anything (kids said a little bland) but they scarfed them up!
*For dinner last night tried the Caribbean chicken (easy) but grilled instead of simmering on stove, yams, whole grain braid, berries, and oven roasted brussels and beets on lettuce with goat cheese and homemade salad dressing (rice vinegar and olive oil). I didn't offer the salad to the kids, but my ten year old literally cavorted into the kitchen demanding "brussel sprouts, you didn't tell me you made brussel sprouts, where are they?!?". She ate a bunch up, much to my satisfaction!

Still Working on (the not so good news)-
*Tried Sunflower Seed butter (in place of PB) on the two who usually like PB (6 and 5 yr. olds). They wouldn't eat it. :( I guess we'll keep serving PB only when the nut-allergic 2 yr. old is sleeping or gone.
*Still can't find a bread my 10yr. old and I can agree on. She absolutely refuses to eat Dave's Killer Bread, which is what I usually buy. She just won't do seeds or nuts. And she wouldn't eat the whole grain loaf from dinner last night.
*Kids and hubby still buying ice-cream for the after dinner/late night treat. I am REALLY trying not to eat after 8 pm..managed it the last two nights! And damn was it hard to resist the hot-out-of-the-oven muffins at 9 pm!
* I am flavoring my water with a little crystal light ice tea or lemonade. Just a little bit when I need some flavor or caffeine.
*Still drinking my mochas....skim milk..but I know it's bad.
*Serving size...this is my major downfall. (See previous blog: Live to eat). I tend to eat fast (with 4 kids it's become a terrible habit)and then get seconds. I am trying to eat slower and not take seconds..hard one.
*Still buying: white mini bagels for kids, Noah's bagels for the freezer (black pepper potato is SO good), deli lunch meat, Quaker granola bars (low sugar at least) and oatmeal (high fiber one though).
*And I just can't get myself to eat plain egg whites scrambled..yuck!

Goals:
*Find a bread 10 yr. old will eat
*Try whole grain pasta
*Drink less wine/beer etc.
*No more super sizing portions
*Meet with a trainer about focus areas (getting over my plateau!)
*Get a smoothie maker
*Try making my own oatmeal

1 comment:

  1. I fully agree about the Potato Peppercorn bagels! I try not to eat more than 1 a week.

    ReplyDelete