Summer 2012

Summer 2012
Sisters!!

Search This Blog

Monday, February 8, 2010

Observations of a Lonely Only...Part 1

I've been rereading a little in The Birth Order Book: Why You Are the Way You Are by Dr. Kevin Leman, trying to sort out the personality diffrences, squabblings and rivalries among the 4 kids of late. As a 'lonely only' myself I find it all rather intriguing and perplexing how the kids interact, not ever having a sibling to interact or compete with myself. There's a whole chapter on only children (Lonely Only, Super First Born...and not super in a good way!). I have to admit that the description "critical of themselves and others...tending to nitpick on small things, organized, a list maker and perfectionistic" all hit home rather hard. In addition we tend to set the bar too high for ourselves and others. My husband always chides me about that scene in "Christmas Vacation" when Chevy Chase and Beverly D'Angelo are up in bed and he is planning the "most fun-filled family Christmas ever-the Griswold Family Christmas". Beverly tries to gently tell him not to get too worked up, she doesn't want him to "over do things and set expectation no one can ever reach." Chase replies "when was the last time I overdid anything?!".
Dr. Leman advises that people marry their birth order opposite for best matches. Unfortunately I married almost the worst possible match, a functional or quasi only child since the next sibling is 8 years above him. No wonder we lock horns and refuse to give in to each other so often, as 'lonely onlies' both of us would like to be in control and have more than a difficult time saying: "You may be right. Let's try it your way."
Child crying, party two coming to a blog near you soon!

1 comment:

  1. I need to read a child-squabble book as well. Though the squabbles of two are probably quieter than 4, they are amplified because it is always the same 2 squabbling!

    ReplyDelete